2009/11/14

Tokyo - what I do and how I got here

I recieved a lot of questions from one of you dear readers, and so I thought "Hm, maybe someone else is wondering the same thing; let's make an entry of it!" So, here's some info on my Tokyo life!


For many many years I've had this dream about being in Tokyo, not just as a tourist for a few weeks, but to actually live here for a longer time. Which is why I, as soon as I graduated high school, made it happen and moved here! I hadn't been to Japan before, but I've traveled a lot in my life so I didn't feel scared about it.

I'm studying Japanese at ISI Language School in Shin-Okubo, and I applied for it at SI-språkresor, a Swedish agency for language studies. Find all info on their website. To be honest, I have no idea how I decided to choose that school, I don't remember since it was such a long time ago..! But it's a great school and I recommend it! The teachers are Japanese and the lessons are only held in Japanese, so you learn very quickly. It might be good if you've studied the language somewhat before since the tempo is very high, but if you put your heart into your studies, there won't be a problem. Also, it's approved by CSN so money is no problem either.
And yes, there's a lot of paperworks when applying for the student visa, but that's understandable, right?

I'm going to study here for a year. After that, I have no idea what I'll do. I might go home, I might try to find a way to stay here. The future will tell, yes.

When I first got here, I lived in a Guest House that my school arranged for me. And now, as you know, I have my own apartment. Of course there's both pros and cons about it, but for me there was no questions about getting an apartment! I have my own bathroom, so I don't have to share toilet with 100+ other people (and some of them apparently didn't like the idea of flushing). I have my own kitchen, so I don't have to walk three stairs down to eat something, I have a balcony with my own washing machine, I have my own TV... yes, I have a place of my own! While living at the guest house I kinda felt like I was just here on vacation, with an apartment my Tokyo life feels more real.
But, the rent is higher of course, although not that much, and I really don't mind paying that small extra amount for this. But it's really up yo what you prefer; if you're very sociable and wants to hang around people all the time, a guest house might be a good idea.
And it's easy to get friends here, so that's nothing to worry about.

It's also easy to get around the town, there are trains and subways everywhere. Get a metro-card and you can go anywhere! Tokyo is very convenient. But keep in min that this is the biggest city in the world (!) so depending on where you're going, it takes time.

And lastly, Tokyo is awesome, but it's NOT heaven on earth. There are problems and difficulties here too. Keep that in mind and you'll have the time of your life!

Well! I hope I managed to answer most of it.
Feel free to ask me any questioins at any time!
See ya☆

3 件のコメント:

Rose さんのコメント...

Thanks!

匿名 さんのコメント...

Hej! :D
How long will you study there exactly? I mean that is your course gonna end in October? It's strange but I'm gonna start ISI in October 2010, but my course is 18 months long.

can you please tell also about starting there... did you study hiraganas first ?

Tack!

Quarter Void さんのコメント...

My course ends in september, I chose 12 months. I learned hiragana and katakana when I was 14-ish, so... but it's best to know them beforehand really.